Skip to content

SecuritySpy & Network Traffic

edited October 2018 in SecuritySpy
I am trying to determine the cause of a regular dip on wifi traffic every 2 and a bit hours. I've very regular and seems to disappear when SS is shutdown. Is this due to a camera going offline (but not reporting the fact) or is SS doing some housekeeping which means it's not pulling data from the cameras for a short period of time.

The Access Point traffic graph is attached to the link here https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5dv3gmpzkej8i4/2018-10-07_16-09-16.png?dl=0

Comments

• I am trying to determine why the wifi network traffic dips approx every 2.5 hours. Does SS do some housekeeping at regular intervals. I don't see any camera reports indicating that a camera goes offline.
  • This is rather intriguing. As far as I can tell, there is nothing that SecuritySpy is doing every 2.5 hours that could cause this.

To see if this is an erroneous signal, the best thing to do would be to install some bandwidth monitoring software on the Mac running SecuritySpy (where I presume most of the traffic is going), to see if you get the same pattern there. If you do then it's a real phenomenon, otherwise it probably isn't.

I've never used it, but PeakHour looks like it will do the job, and it has a free trial.

If a camera goes down, SecuritySpy will attempt to reconnect to it immediately. If this initial reconnect succeeds then no error will be reported in the log. Only if this initial reconnect fails with the error be reported. However it would be strange if your camera(s) are going down at such regular intervals.