Using SmartThings Motion Sensors to trigger recordings
  • I’m trying to use my SmartThings PIR motion detectors to trigger recording instead of using the server to analyze the video. I’ve figured out how to get it to record when the motion sensor is tripped by having SmartThings call this url: http://192.168.0.xxx:xxxx/++triggermd?cameraNum=0&auth=xxx

That record's the motion capture clip correctly however, the iOS alert does not show an image like it does when I have SecuritySpy set to detect the motion. It also comes appears about 15 seconds after the motion is triggered vs 1-2 seconds when SecuritySpy detects the motion on its own.

When I look at the web log it shows the iOS device trying to access ++getnotificationimage?name=xxx&auth=xxx. When I try to pull this up in the web browser I get a 404 error so it looks like there's no image being created when triggered by ++triggermd?cameraNum=0&auth=xxx.

Is there something I need to change in my settings to get this to work properly or is it a limitation with SecuritySpy?
  • This sounds like a bug - there should be a notification image even if the trigger is from the HTTP request. I will look into this and get back to you.

The only thing I can think of initially is that if you have the "Decompress incoming video frames only when required" option turned on in the General Preferences, this may mean that there is no decompressed image available to create the notification image at the time when it is required. If you have this option on, please try turning it off to see if it makes a difference. If you don't have this option on, then the problem must lie elsewhere.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!