macOS Sierra Certification
  • I recently purchased SecuritySpy and it is working nicely.

I am considering purchasing RemoteSight but I noticed it hasn't been updated in a while.

Have you officially certified both SecuritySpy and RemoteSight as compatible and officially supported (by you) for macOS Sierra?

I would like to have that confirmation before purchasing RemoteSight especially since it is obviously a lower priority product and I would look for something else if it not going to be supported for Sierra.

P.S. It would also be nice if RemoteSight supported ONVIF for easier configuration with other viewing apps. Obviously, not the highest priority, but would be useful.
  • Hi Spiv,

The latest version of SecuritySpy (currently 4.0.7) is officially compatible with Sierra.

The only compatibility issue with previous versions of SecuritySpy are certain transient files that SecuritySpy was writing to the ~/Documents/SecuritySpy/ folder, which interfered with the new Documents folder syncing feature in Sierra. SecuritySpy 4.0.7 now stores such files in the ~/Library/Application Support/SecuritySpy/ folder, which is the correct place for such files.

As for RemoteSight, this is a lower priority as there are far fewer users than SecuritySpy, but we do plan to update it for the latest macOS system software in the near future.
  • I have Security Spy 3.4.8. The comment above says that there is an issue with SecuritySpy writing to ~/Documents/SecuritySpy/ folder, which interfered with the new Documents folder syncing feature in Sierra. Can I upgrade to Sierra and is there something I can do to change where the file saves, such as to ~/Library/Application Support/SecuritySpy/?
  • Hi @dstein - you can direct the captured movie files elsewhere (using the Capture Destination setting in the Camera Settings window), but SecuritySpy 3.x will still write some files to the Documents folder (the log file, as well as .sbf files, which are backup files that contain data used to restore movie files that are currently being captured, in the event of a computer crash or power outage).

These files are quite small, but they will cause iCloud to upload them whenever they are created or changed, which may be a nuisance. I'm afraid there is no way to tell SecuritySpy 3.x to put these files elsewhere.

Of course, if you are not using the iCloud feature to automatically upload your Documents folder to iCloud Drive, then this isn't a problem.

If this is going to be a problem for you, I would recommend upgrading to SecuritySpy version 4.
  • Ben, fortunately I'm not using iCloud Drive on that computer, and I'm not too worried about loosing the stored files if the computer crashes as I also have in-store DVR camera systems as backups. Will upgrade now. Thanks!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!