VTDecoderXPCService CPU usage
  • Hi @armakarma - the current beta (4.2.4b5) still has this tweak, so please test it and report back. Thanks.

Note that it's not high CPU usage per se that's the problem here - high CPU usage could be completely normal depending on your setup. The problem here is CPU usage of VTDecoderXPCService that starts low, but that gradually increases over time all the way to 100%. Are you experiencing this?
  • Ok, here is my update.....I was experiencing high CPU of VTDecoderXPCService which went away when I upgraded to High Sierra. I then thought the problem came back as I was experiencing high CPU usage once again. I checked Activity monitor and though that the problem had somehow recurred but in fact this time in was VTENCODERXPCService (not decoder) that was through the roof. I realised that this must be due to the fact that I was displaying my cameras on 2 different iPads at the same time using the iOS App. Once I stopped using the apps to view, everything returned to a respectable level and performance has been great with no errors.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the update. High encoding CPU usage is expected with multiple viewing clients connected. You can mitigate this by switching the streaming format from H.264 to JPEG in the iOS clients (in the SecuritySpy iOS app settings), though this will use more network bandwidth (not a problem over a local network, but may provide slow performance over the Internet).
  • I've been mucking around with this myself as I've seen the issue cropping up for me.

On my system, it looks like VTDecoderXPCService's high use of CPU is directly tied to motion detection and having the camera windows open (either on Mac or iOS devices)

I'm running 5 Foscam cameras of varying types. The two with motion detection enabled are using ~9% CPU each.

I had motion detection turned one for a third camera that was using 18% CPU by itself. I turned that off and CPU dropped to 0.0%

I tested turning motion detection off with the other two, and voila, no CPU.

Motion on for two cameras: http://take.ms/w9Luu
    Motion off: http://take.ms/rarseH

That's with the Cameras window closed on my Mac. If I open it, all 5 shoot up considerably, which I suppose defeats the purpose of the software entirely (not being able to see the cameras).
  • Hi @mikejandreau - what you are reporting is completely normal. When SecuritySpy has to decompress the incoming video for any purpose - for example to display in video windows or to perform motion detection - it has to invoke the VTDecoderXPCService to do this task, and this uses CPU time. 9% per camera is very modest CPU usage, and note that this 9% represents the amount of usage of a single CPU core, so for example if your Mac has a 4-core CPU, then this 9% represents only about 2% of your Mac's total processing capacity.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!