Should I set up a seperate network
  • Hello, My network started crawling a few months so I disconnected the cameras and all is well. I now want to get the cameras back up but I dont want the network to slow due to video being captured. I have a pretty fast internet and was capturing on my main mac. I now have a dedicated mac that I can use, I also have a mac mini server that may work even better. Can someone advise me on a setup that will not affect my network.

I have two airports, a MicroTik RouterBoard, and a TP-Link POE amd 4 axis cameras, and a mac mini server. I am not a networking guy nor do I play one on TV so I am at a loss on a best practice. Anyone with some great ideas who can advise me on a great setup I will greatly appreciate it
  • The first thing that will help you is to connect as many devices as possible by wired ethernet to your TP-Link switch. At the very least, the Mac running SecuritySpy should be connected by wired ethernet to the switch.

Then, allocate the cameras to one wireless network and all the other normal devices (TV, iPhones, iPads, other Macs etc.) to the other wireless network. This way you are keeping the camera traffic isolated. If you absolutely have to connect your Mac wirelessly too, make sure it's on the same wireless network as the cameras.

Hope this helps.
  • Ben,

Thanks for the response, Let me get this straight, I run two networks. Network #1 is for surfing the net and all the devices and such and then set up network #2 but this network would not touch the internet (or would it) and this would run the cameras with the TP-Link.

In this scenario I would not have any way to view the cameras outside of my office, I would just be capturing the footage.. However I would not have to worry about the captured footage slowing my network. Looking at the whole picture this makes sense but is there a way that I can do both without purchasing another internet connection. Some kind of way connect the Mini but allocate x amount of resources? just wondering if there is some sort of Holy Grail of setups.

Thanks

Jason
  • Hi Jason,

I think there is an understandable confusion here because "different network" can mean a few different things. First there is the ethernet subnet of a local area network (LAN). Devices on the same subnet can talk to each other, whereas devices on different subnets can only talk to each other via a router. Then there is the WiFi network, which consists of a SSID (network name) running on a particular channel.

What you want ideally is two WiFi networks on the same subnet, so that all your devices can communicate with all other devices, and all have access to the internet. To achieve this, both your AirPort devices must be connected by wired ethernet to your switch, and both must be set to Bridge Mode, so that they act as WiFi access points rather than routers themselves. The only router running on your network should be the MicroTik one providing access to the internet.

To set them to bridge mode, log on to the AirPort using AirPort Utility, click on the Network option, and under "Router Mode", select "Off (Bridge Mode)":

Under the Wireless option, you need to select "Create a wireless network" as the Network Mode:

Now assign the cameras and recording Mac to one WiFi network, and all other devices to the other. All your devices will be on the same LAN and same subnet, but the traffic from the cameras on one WiFi network won't be slowing down the other.
  • Ben,

I hope that you did not forget me and this conversation we started a few moons ago. Let me rephrase so that you can verify my understanding. In your case you have two Airports lets say Airport Network 1 and Airport Network 2 (I have two airports so we are off to a good start.) AN1 and AN2 Respectively.

AN1 would be the office network. So all computers and printers and everything wifi would go inside this one. AN2 would be camera network and the only thing plugged into this would be TP-Link and both networks would run into the microTik in bridge mode?

Is that about right? Upon doing so.. I can then access the internet to view the cams and not have to worry about slowing the other network?

Correct?

Thanks

Jason
  • Hi Jason,

Just to clarify, your MikroTik router should absolutely not be in bridge mode; it's the AirPort devices that should be in bridge mode.

Consider the TP-Link switch as the central point of your network, to which all other wired devices should connect to. Connect the Mac, MikroTik, and any wired cameras to the TP-Link switch. If you don't have enough ports on the switch, you can instead use any additional LAN ports on the MikroTik, though these aren't likely to be as high-performance as the TP-Link so this should be avoided if possible.

Both AirPort devices should be in bridge mode, as per my above screenshots. Each should create its own WiFi network. Any general-purpose wireless traffic should connect to one of these, and any wireless cameras should connect to the other one.

The bottleneck here is the speed of the wireless network, so you're aiming to quarantine the wireless camera traffic onto its own wireless network. This setup allows all devices access to the internet.
  • So in this seranio, The uplink or should be plugged into the TP-Link. I was thinking the MikroTik? so ultimately the Tp-Link will hand out ip address?

Thanks
  • The router should have one "Internet" port, which connects to a modem for access to the internet, and one or more "LAN" ports that connect to devices on your LAN. It's the router that hands out IP addresses; no other devices on your network should hand out IP addresses. The TP-Link, if it's just a switch and not a router, is a relatively simply device that just connects ethernet devices together; it doesn't get involved in IP address details at all.

An uplink port is for connecting one switch to another. So you would connect the uplink port of the TP-Link to any of the standard LAN ports on the MikroTik (if the MicroTik has multiple LAN ports, then it actually has a built-in mini-switch in order to provide these). Then all the LAN ports on both the MikroTik and the TP-Link effectively become one big switch (except that the TP-Link is likely to be better at this than the MikroTik, as I mentioned above, so preferentially use the TP-Link's ports).

If you can supply the exact model numbers of the MikroTik and TP-Link devices, I'll be able to give you more specific advice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!