Amcrest Qcam 3-Megapixel POE Weatherproof IP66 Bullet IP Camera
  • Hi, I'm a long-time user of Security Spy & I recently bought a few of these cameras to upgrade my system:

http://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-3-Megapixel-Weatherproof-Resolution-2048TVL/dp/B014E995K8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I can't seem to get the camera setup using the standard RTSP configuration. An Amazon reviewer also wrote about this problem. Like him, I can view the stream in VLC using rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/h264Preview_01_main.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger
  • Hi Roger, according to that information you should be able to set up the camera like this:

- In the Video Device Settings window, create a new network device.
    - Set the device type to "Manual configuration”.
    - Enter the camera's IP address but leave the Port field empty.
    - Enter the camera’s username and password
    - Select "RTSP TCP” from the Format menu.
    - Enter h264Preview_01_main as the Request

Does this work?
  • Hi Ben,

I have tried to setup the camera using those settings exactly, but have not been able to establish a connection.

-Roger
  • Hi Roger, please check the log file, which you'll find in the SecuritySpy folder within your Documents folder - what errors are being reported for connection attempts with this camera?
  • The other thing you can try is the ONVIF profile in SecuritySpy, as the camera is apparently ONVIF-compatible.
  • 01-06-2016 1726-58: Error communicating with the network device "Network camera" 3.4.8,70219,32 Broken pipe (EPIPE)
  • Same error message for ONVIF
  • Ben, any advice on the error message? Thanks!
  • The "broken pipe" message simply means that the network connection between Mac and camera was unexpectedly closed for some reason.

This may be because the IP address or port number specified for the camera is incorrect. Please can you check both of these settings. If you take the IP address you have specified in SecuritySpy and copy and paste it into a web browser, does this successfully connect to the camera (not show video, just connect and show the camera's web page).

Sometimes cameras use unusual port numbers for their RTSP and ONVIF communication. Can you check the camera's user manual to see if it lists which ports the camera uses for which protocols?
  • I have confirmed the IP address & rtsp port. When I use the same address & rtsp in VLC (rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/h264Preview_01_main), I can connect & see the video feed. On a Windows machine, I can also connect & login to the web setup screen.
  • Hi Roger,

Well it sounds like you have everything set up correctly, it's difficult to know what could be going wrong in this case.

Would it be possible for you to put your camera online temporarily so that we can connect to it from here and do some testing? To do this you will have to set up the port forwarding settings on your router to forward incoming connections to the camera on port 80 and 554, and email us your public IP address (or DDNS name, which can be set up in SecuritySpy's Web Server Setup window). Let me know if you need more information about how to set this up.
  • I will do this when I get home later this afternoon - Thanks!
  • I haven't had a chance to setup port forwarding but here are the results of a port scan:
    80 : tcp : http
    443 : tcp : https
    554 : tcp : rtsp
    6001 : tcp : X11:1
    8000 : tcp : http-alt
    9000 : tcp : cslistener
  • Ben,

Email sent!
  • Ben, I replied to your last email. Let me know. Thanks!
  • Not sure if you're still having issues but I came across this thread because I am also.

If you set it to manual
    add ip, user and pass
    make sure it's rtsp tcp
    and in the request box put the following:
    h264Preview_01_main
    you should at least start seeing an image, but only the top third
    is appearing at this point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!