Quick question prior to dipping my toe in...
  • I've been playing with various CCTV systems recently. One really annoying thing I've found is that when one's accessing remotely, you can't generally skip to a particular time in the recording - you have to download the whole thing (which can be slow as it involves going the wrong way up ADSL).
    I really want "random access" to recordings.
    Does Security Spy have any clever way of dealing with this?
    Cheers!
    Alex
  • Hi Alex,

The recordings SecuritySpy creates are standard QuickTime files, which SecuritySpy makes "fast start" when serving through the web server. This basically means that the metadata about where all the media is in the file is sent first, so the player knows where all the samples are and can in theory request any sample it wants at any time.

If the file is recorded using H.264 video compression and AAC audio compression (if there's an audio track), then HTML5 video playback will be used, and this works very well for random access, especially in Chrome. So for example as soon as the movie appears, you can skip to the middle and playback will immediately continue from that point.

Otherwise (and always with Safari), the QuickTime Plugin will be used to play the file, and in this case you cannot skip to a location that hasn't yet been loaded. However playback will start immediately, while the file is being received (i.e. you don't have to wait for it to download before it will start to play).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!